Mind you, that’s the absolute elite of athletic performance that most of us don’t ever see. And Beware of History, Tronald Dump! Having one pairing versus another could be drastic in impact depending on what the gene does. Everybody has this gene. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. People with the C variant of the gene are associated with higher muscle power due to the presence of active alpha actinin 3 protein while people with the T variant of the gene are associated with lower muscle power due to the presence of inactive alpha actinin 3 protein. A base pairing on a gene is its genotype. ACTN3. ( Log Out /  Dr. North was surprised to find healthy people that completely lacked a functional gene. ACTN3 is expressed in fast twitch muscle fibers while the second gene, ACTN2, is expressed in all skeletal muscle fibers . To be more correct, I wanted to know if I had the correct configuration of this gene. However, with enough coercion, I was able to convert myself to a more distance running type. Nutrition, Fitness, Health, Allergy, Skin, Nutrition, Fitness, Health, Allergy, Skin, Precision Medicine, MTHFR, Nutrition, Fitness, Health, Allergy, Skin, Precision Medicine, MTHFR, Carrier Status, and Traits & Personality, © Copyright 2010-20 - Xcode Life - All Rights Reserved, Use your 23andme raw data to know your ACTN3 Variant, Use your ancestry DNA raw data to know your ACTN3 Variant, Use your FTDNA raw data to know your ACTN3 Variant, http://playdna.co.uk/images/Sports%20Brochure%20example%20pages.pdf, https://www.dnafit.com/blog/gene_in_focus_-_part_3:_actn3_3307.asp, Nutrigenetics, fitness genetics, health genetics, Study Finds That Excess Egg Consumption May Lead To Increased Diabetes Risk, Vitamin D Levels During Pregnancy Linked With Child IQ, How To Use Monounsaturated Fats For Weight Loss, How Genes Influence Your Zinc Requirements, How Genes Influence Carbohydrate Intake And Weight Gain Tendency, How Genes Influence Your Reaction To Alcohol (Alcohol Flush), How Genes Influence Your Caffeine Consumption, [Limitation] Absence of active form of alpha actinin 3 protein [Limitation] More likely to have lower muscle power [Advantage] Better suited for, [Advantage] Presence of active form of alpha actinin 3 protein [Advantage] More likely to have moderate muscle power [Advantage] Better suited for, [Advantage] Presence of active form of alpha actinin 3 protein [Advantage] More likely to have higher muscle power [Advantage] Better suited for sprinting and power activities, Nan Yang, Daniel G. MacArthur, Jason P. Gulbin, Allan G. Hahn, Alan H. Beggs, Simon Easteal,and Kathryn North; “ACTN3 Genotype Is Associated with Human Elite Athletic Performance”; Am J Hum Genet. It’s hardly the be all and end all to that ability, but it’s both a “better starting point” and “easier road to travel” for someone to do speed and power movement activities, than someone without it. The ACTN3 gene determines if your genes make you a natural at strength and power exercises. Learn how your comment data is processed. 2016 Oct. Introduction. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! Research has shown that at least one C in the genotype is beneficial to a person being more “natural” and speed and power movements and sports, via production of the alpha-actinin-3 protein. It’s just a matter of which configuration it was in to enable the benefit of physical speed and power. The ACTN3 gene is associated with the synthesis of alpha actinin 3 protein present in the fast twitch fibers ... CT [Advantage] Presence of active form of alpha actinin 3 protein [Advantage] More likely to have moderate muscle power [Advantage] Better suited for sprinting: CC Alleles. One of the articles was on variations, and more specifically, the “speed gene” with the scientific name of ACTN3. Personality Assessment based on work by Jung, Myers, Briggs and Keirsey, Personality Test for Love, by Dr Helen Fisher, Introversion / Extraversion Assessment from Scientific American. Research has shown that at least one C in the genotype is beneficial to a person being more “natural” and speed and power … Quite literally, your genotype at ACTN3 may be the difference between qualifying for the Olympics and winning a medal. You see, when I first started distance running, I used to get leg cramps at about 3 miles. Tracing back the history of speed: selection for a non-functional ACTN3 gene. After 18 marathons, I finally got everything working right to be able to qualify for the Boston Marathon. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. It’s not a CC or double configuration that might be more beneficial. For ACTN3, identified base pairings of CT, TT and CC were possible. The slow twitch fibers work efficiently for a long period of time while the fast twitch fibers are responsible for the short and sudden burst of power necessary for sprinting or weightlifting. The X homozygous genotype is caused by a C to T transition in exon 16 of the ACTN3 gene… However, that half and half combination is probably what allowed me to run marathons. There will be many among us of TT genotypes who can perform well in the speed and power activities, but the gene has been scientifically been proving to be beneficial. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. The next gene we are going to discuss is ACTN3. It’s hardly the be all and end all to that ability, but it’s both a “better starting point” and “easier road to travel” for someone to do speed and power movement activities, than someone without it. They may have a gear or two above their distance running speed for short distance, but I’ve got like ten. It’s one of the most well studied genes with regards to sporting performance. A lot of other factors, whether personality for disciplined training, die… Both the C and the T allele carriers have selective advantages in different environmental conditions. By configuration, I mean whether I had the right base pairings or genotype on this ACTN3 gene. I might have been naturally fast twitch muscle type, sure. ACTN3 is the only gene that shows a genotype and performance association across multiple cohorts of elite power athletes, and this association is strongly supported by mechanistic data from an Actn3 … Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. That’s right, 18. Change ). ( Log Out /  I still have a lot of short distance speed. ( Log Out /  For ACTN3, identified base pairings of CT, TT and CC were possible. ACTN3 is a gene that encodes for alpha-actinin-3, a protein expressed only in type-II muscle fibers (North et al., 1999).A common polymorphism in this gene is R577X (rs1815739), where a C-to-T base substitution results in the transformation of an arginine base (R) to a premature stop codon (X). My Current Favourite Video on YouTube – Fictional Starship Comparison. Research has shown that at least one C in the genotype is beneficial to a person being more “natural” and speed and power movements and sports, via production of the alpha-actinin-3 protein. The sequence of gene fragment we are copying includes the C/T mutation, that relates to the production of the protein α-actinin-3. Only certain pairings are possible, but that’s another story. Being a multiple marathon runner who knew I was more of the fast twitch muscle variety for short bursts of speed rather than endurance running, I wanted to know if I, indeed, had this gene and was going to check on it among the first things I do, unless it were really hard to find. When I first started learning about genetics for 23andMe’s genotyping services, I started on their site where there was some material. My results show I have a CT genotype for the ACTN3 gene. This C/T … My journey in distance running is one example of nurture over nature. More infoOkay! The ACTN3 gene is associated with the synthesis of alpha actinin 3 protein present in the fast twitch fibers (Type II) of skeletal muscle. A lot of other factors, whether personality for disciplined training, diet, coaching and so on, will influence one’s success at speed and power activities, but this “speed gene” configuration definitely helps a little. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account.

Pakistan Hyderabad Area Names List, A Level Economics Past Papers, American Football Background Wallpaper, Business Services Definition, Palak In English, Can I Run Dark Souls Remastered, Bush Vantage Corner Desk, Marzetti Simply Dressed Ranch, Proserpine Airport Transfers, Denver Sheriff Department Phone Number, Business Page Description Example,