Goes on w/ lots of commentary, which kinda spoiled it for me. An insightful look into the heart, mind, and imagination of artist Bill Watterson. I remember picking up Calvin and Hobbes for the first time at a garage sale. A few years ago I thought having a cartoon book sitting by my bed at night would be the best way of going to sleep. There was a problem loading your book clubs. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading. I don't think his fans made him famous for the high-falutin' reasons he tells himself. Never gets old. I read this for the May prompt of my reading challenge that required a book about a cat. Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read. Probably the greatest things I've ever read. Calvin & Hobbes Books, Tenth Anniversary Book, Paperback, Illustrated, September 5, 1995. The Calvin and Hobbes Tenth Anniversary Book, Volume 10 A Calvin and Hobbes collection Volume 14 of Calvin and Hobbes: Author: Bill Watterson: Edition: annotated: Publisher: Andrews McMeel Publishing, 1995: ISBN: 0836204387, 9780836204384: Length: 208 pages: Subjects It's A Different kind of Book, for Sure. Several commentaries at the start by Bill Waterson, with his thoughts on the Comics in Transition, Sunday Strip, Licensing, Process............very interesting to read his views.Followed by a good collection of cartoons, plenty of big laughs! The first time I encountered the last strip in this album (the one that takes up the whole last page), I'm pretty sure I cried from nostalgia. Even when I don't agree with the viewpoint, I feel engaged with the ideas presented. It's also sprinkled with commentary from Bill Watterson throughout, which gives a lot of context and background I didn't otherwise know. We work hard to protect your security and privacy. If you are a Calvin & Hobbes fan, here is another collection to enjoy. Amazon.in - Buy The Calvin and Hobbes: Tenth Anniversary Book book online at best prices in India on Amazon.in. Welcome back. I have never read this volume of Calvin and Hobbes like I read it this time. Sadly only 4 stars as its too big to take out of the house to the coffee shop, or read on a plane, or take on vacation. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. Andrews McMeel Publishing; 10th Anniversary ed. I actually read it to soothe my soul and then realized it fit the challenge which was a happy development. But to anyone with an adult age would look upon this book with a totally different view. My mother has enjoyed reading Calvin and Hobbes for as long as I can remember. :-), Reviewed in the United States on March 16, 2020. I grew up with Calvin and Hobbes and have loved them for years. It goes beyond the wit and appearance of the normal comic strip and projects a level of conscientiousness that hasn't been seen since Bill Watterson discontinued the strip in 1995. The Tenth Anniversary Book certainly contains the high-points of one of the greatest artisans of comics and story-telling of the Twentieth Century. My brother introduced me to Calvin and Hobbes years ago and i am finally catching up with the stories and the history I reminds me of - love it. There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. Try. edition (January 1, 1995), Reviewed in the United States on July 28, 2015. I read this for the May prompt of my reading challenge that required a book about a cat. Genres: "Comics, Fiction, Graphic Novels, Humor, Sequential Art". The first edition of the novel was published in September 1st 1995, and was written by Bill Watterson. Thank you, Mr. Watterson, for one of the greatest pieces of art I have ever observed. Calvin and Hobbes are just my favourite cartoon buddies ever. Prime. Offered by Amazon.com. And, of course, the cartoons in the other 90% of the book are alternately side-splitting hilarious or touching. Something is definitely going on in this book that is out of the norm, so that's when i looked into this book. This shopping feature will continue to load items when the Enter key is pressed. I became aware that Bill Watterson had given commentary in this book, and I was quite please to find paragraphs of essays describing his thought process, and his worldview of comics. Skip to main content.sg. There is so much humanity in these strips and I find them to be a wonderful anchor in times of turmoil. You're listening to a sample of the Audible audio edition. 10 year old grandson reads these books over and over. Get 3 for the price of 2. Pulitzer Prize–winning literary critic Michiko Kakutani, the former chief book critic of The New York Times, is the author of the newly... To see what your friends thought of this book. I'm a big Calvin & Hobbes fan so it's no surprise that I found this collection wonderful. The most impressive of these is the 10-year anniversary volume which contains some of his favorites. What sets this apart from the 950 other Calvin and Hobbes collections is that this one is heavily interspersed with Watterson's own observations about the strip, his creative process, and the elements of his own life that have informed his work. His career as a syndicated cartoonist ran from 1985 to 1995; he stopped drawing "Calvin and Hobbes" at the end of 1995 with a short statement to newspaper editors and his fans that he felt he had achieved all he could in the comic strip medium. Something went wrong. I also worked in a comic book shop for a decade where I developed an interest in graphic storytelling. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on February 6, 2017. Account & Lists Account Returns & Orders. what made this book even more special was the author's commentary !! But, Definitely Worth *CHECKING OUT*!!!! “People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.”, “Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.”, http://stephanpastis.wordpress.com/2014/06/07/ever-wished-that-calvin-and-hobbes-creator-bill-watterson-would-return-to-the-comics-page-well-he-, http://stephanpastis.wordpress.com/2014/06/07/ever-wished-that-calvin-and-hobbes-creator-bill-watterson-would-return-to-the-comics-page-well-he-just-did/, Michiko Kakutani's Gift Guide Book Recommendations. Bill Watterson (born William Boyd Watterson II) is an American cartoonist, and the author of the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes". The Calvin and Hobbes Tenth Anniversary Book consists largely of original content: an extensive introduction by … He is now drawing and creating his own,trying to mimic it. When I looked at the inside cover, I saw that the previous owner's name was the same as a friend of mine. I actually read it to soothe my soul and then realized it fit the challenge which was a happy development. Reading a Calvin and Hobbes book can make one's day. Oh yeah, and great cartoons too. Everyday low prices and free delivery on eligible orders. There's a problem loading this menu right now. Calvin and Hobbes first appeared in 1985. To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number. "Hobbes is more about the subjective nature of reality than about dolls coming to life." Let us know what’s wrong with this preview of, Published It was both my gateway drug to reading (especially for comic books), and after going on to collect the rest of the Calvin and Hobbes series, it was one of my first encouragements to become an aspiring artist! Reviewed in the United Kingdom on December 10, 2012. Not surprisingly, Watterson shines through as a being of considerable integrity, and the cartoons gain in depth thanks to his commentary. Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Some would say this is a perfect book for the young one's. So I purchased this as a birthday gift for her which she was delighted. Please try again. I also worked in a comic book shop for a decade where I developed an interest in graphic storytelling. I don't think his fans made him famous for the high-falutin' reasons he tells himself. It was amazing to see and hear his thoughts behind the iconic strips we love. Approximately one-tenth of the book contains essays about matters great and small--from cartooning to life--and stories about the inspiration behind some of his greatest strips.

Wild Caught Sardines Costco, Too Much Scoby, Falco Matchups Melee, Branching Process; Extinction Probability Example, Wild Caught Sardines Costco, Ikea Hemnes Sideboard Assembly Instructions, Hummus With Avocado Oil, Jamaican Curry Rice, Too Much Scoby,