These traditionally include Psalm 41:9 "Yea, mine own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, which did eat of my bread, hath lifted up his heel against me. Judas is named by Jesus in John 17:12 as the one He lost; the “son of perdition” (KJV); the one “doomed to destruction” (NIV); or the “rebel bent on destruction” (MSG). "houis" What is the translation methodology for the Nueva Versión Internacional (NVI)? How would sailing be affected if seas had actually dangerous large animals? While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled. By saying, "Those whom You gave Me, I have kept; and none of them is lost except the son of perdition" (John 17:12), is Jesus saying that He lost someone that He was expected to keep or should have kept? In fact, there are two people to which the title “son of perdition” is applied. Then Satan entered Judas, called Iscariot, one of the Twelve. The Mormon Church teaches that Joseph Smith saw God the Father and His Son. It's just a very simple word. That was the New American Standard Bible. The choice of using the word "perdition" is acceptable in the old form of the word ("utter destruction"), however it has taken on the connotation of "eternal damnation" and so it's no longer an appropriate translation, in my opinion. site design / logo © 2020 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under cc by-sa. Here, we see that Satan entered Judas. Examples: It seems to me that there are differences in how much agency is assigned to Judas here. However this is not the case in all languages; for example the Luther Bible renders the use in John as "das verlorene Kind" (the lost child), but the use in 2 Thessalonians as "das Kind des Verderbens" (the child of corruption). By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Service. Clearly, there was plotting involved, a conscious effort to betray Jesus, and a choice that Judas made. [10], Some theologians and scholars also consider "the beast that goes into perdition" mentioned in Revelation 17:8 and 17:11 to be references to the son of perdition."[11][12]. Are you saying that e.g. If we look at this in light of Luke, we find this verse: Luke 22:3 (NIV) Various Old Testament origins have been suggested for "that the scripture might be fulfilled." For what modules is the endomorphism ring a division ring? The son of perdition (Greek: ο υιος της απωλειας, ho huios tēs apōleias) is a phrase associated with a demoniacal title that appears in the New Testament in the Gospel of Saint John 17:12 and in the Second Epistle to the Thessalonians 2:3. The New International Version translates the phrase as "the one doomed to destruction." Strong G3588. The phrase there is a literal translation from the Greek, "ὁ υἱὸς τῆς ἀπωλείας"; "the son of X" is an idiom for "one who personifies the nature of X", and "ἀπωλείας" (Strong 684) can mean "perdition", "loss", "destruction", "ruin", and so on. If we read further in Luke we see this passage: Luke 22:4-6 (NIV) Emphasis added et al. This word means "of the". What support is there for the Jehovah’s Witness translation of John 1:1? With that temptation, Judas was allowed to choose to betray Jesus--which he did. This means "destruction", "perishing" or "ruin". Christianity Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for committed Christians, experts in Christianity and those interested in learning more. How to limit population growth in a utopia? Judas chose the path to ruin when he determined to betray Jesus. According to some modern biblical criticism New Testament writers derived the "son of perdition" (and "man of sin") concepts from Daniel and 1 Maccabees 2:48 "And they did not surrender the horn to the sinner." [Strong's 622] The Hebrew name is "Abaddon" (Greek: Aβαδδων), from the Aramaic root word "'abad", which means the same thing as the Greek root word. I think some perspective on the matter can be found in Luke: 1 Then said he unto the disciples, It is impossible but that offences will come: but woe unto him, through whom they come! Title of book about humanity seeing their lives X years in the future due to astronomical event, How do rationalists justify the scientific method. Some scholars[3] and theologians[4] down through history, including Hippolytus,[5] Luther,[6] Wesley,[7] Manton,[8] Schaff,[9] et al, say that first "Son of Perdition" reference is to Antiochus IV Epiphanes, the man who attacked the Second Temple in Jerusalem and defiled it by sacrificing a pig on the altar, erecting a statue of Zeus as himself in the temple, raiding the Temple treasury and minting coins saying "Theos Epiphanes" (God manifest), etc. [14] It refers to utter loss, eternal destruction, and disassociation." Judas Iscariot, who, after betraying Jesus, committed suicide instead of repenting, and went to hell for everlasting destruction. "apoleias" How to place 7 subfigures properly aligned.

Female Chipping Sparrow, Blackberry Lemon Curd Pie, Dei Fratelli Italian Sauce Where To Buy, Telecaster Bridge Plate, Sonata In F Major Flute Handel, All In One Arihant Class 6, Types Of Computer Communication,